Thursday, February 14, 2013

Frank Herbert's Dune Series

Hi readers,

So any of you guys here is a bookworm? I wouldn't consider myself one but I do really enjoy reading much. I love novels - a LOT! But even so, I don't really have a lot of novels in my possession. The genre that mostly appeal to me are Adventure, Fantasy, and Science Fiction. 

Sadly I only have a handful of novels with me right now. A few from Harry Potter's series, one from The Golden Compass, only 3 out of 4 from The Inheritance series "Eragon" and only the first 2 books from Frank Herbert's Dune series, namely 'Dune' and 'Dune Messiah'. See?? Even though I am a fan of Fantasy genre but I don't have anything from The Lord of the Rings =_="...  Sad isn't it...and still I dare to say "I love novels - a LOT!"

So on this post, I want to talk about Frank Herbert's Dune!!! Well I'm not really a big fan of Sci-fi actually if you look on my collections - lol. But Dune is for me the best novel I have ever read. The content and context of it simple amazing and just magnificent! Its an amazing work considering it was publish on 1965! I am not a very good writer to write a review about how great DUNE is compare to others but I will just rant about how awesome it is here so please don't try to judge me okay. If you guys wants more detail about a review or something please click here

Dune is not like any other Sci-fi novels - even though I own none other than Dune but I still read other sci-fi novels at MPH mostly...for free :] Where can you get a novel so details in explaining its contents? From the environments, geological aspects, flora and fauna, human interaction, quotes, religions and even languages - not to mention space travel and universe which is common in sci-fi right? To think that even George Lucas' Star Wars borrow inspiration from Dune to create Tatooine - its just happens to be one of the greatest novel ever written.

The first chapter - DUNE - is a winner of 1966 Hugo and also took home the first Nebula Awards. 

Alec Newman as Paul Atreides
in 2000 and 2003 miniseries
The story basically revolves around a young man, and not just an ordinary man, Paul Atreides is a heir for House of Atreides in Caladan. Well the Duke Leto Atreides is his father and Lady Jessica is her mother and they are moving from Caladan to Arrakis or aka Dune to establish an establishment there to control the Melange - the spice. In their time, Melange is consider to be the most sought after thing in the whole universe and i the whole universe, Melange only exist on Arrakis - a desert planet.

What they didn't know is that the Empire and House of Harkonnen is planning a plot against Atreides because Duke Leto is popular among the royal houses. So the Emperor sent House of Atreides to Arrakis simply to assassinate the whole bloodline. So the story continues...


Well, DUNE has been made into a movie, miniseries as well as games. In 1984, director David Lynch made DUNE into a movie however it got many negatives critics and trust me that if you like DUNE, you have to at least watch this movie one time. I recommend just download and then watch it then quickly delete it! But rejoice for in 2000, John Harrison produced and directed a miniseries for tv using the name 'Frank Herbert's Dune'. Its a long miniseries about 5 hours but I have to its really worth it And in 2003 they made a sequel called 'Frank Herbert's Children Of Dune' and this sequel although it use the name from the 3rd book, its actually a combination from the 2nd and the 3rd book, namely "Dune Messiah" and "Children of Dune".









James McAvoy as Leto Atreides II
In the miniseries, which in 2004 were two of the three highest-rated programs to be ever broadcast on Syfy channel, Alex Newman plays the part as Paul Atreides or later known as Paul-Muad'Dib. Young James McAvoy as Leto Atreides II - yes, he is the same guy on Wanted with the ever so sexy Angelina Jolie and he is from Scotland! That's explain the thick accent. The miniseries is a success and the first part even won some awards!

You can click here for the Frank Herbert's Dune and click here for Frank Herbert's Children Of Dune.

The music is composed by Brian Tyler for the miniseries and I have to say the whole soundtrack sounds so awesome! If you kind of like a desert song or middle-east influence music you should get the soundtrack. There is one song that really captivate me - Inama Nushif - I keep on listening to it till this very moment that I wrote this post. Below is the montage of from Children of Dune in which the song is first introduced in the miniseries. Its really a haunting song and it really makes me got goosebumps! The song is sung entirely in Fremen languange by an Iranian singer Azam Ali - a language created by Frank Herbert for the Fremen tribe on Arrakis although Brian Tyler admits he did change it just to make it more musical. Enjoy!



Little Lies - Dune really changes my perspective of ones life and how we see things. From a Boy to Duke to an Emperor to a God-like King and ends in tregedy...

1 comment:

Add more LIES here...